Supporting Your Body to Cleanse… Everyday
As you have read, in my previous blogs, giving your body space and time to rest and process all the toxins that we are exposed to on a regular basis is not only essential, but a requirement in today’s day and age. Everyday, we are all being exposed to all sorts of toxins, and thus need to help our bodies process the load.
Even with the most care: eating organic, using natural personal and household products, we can’t always control our environment. The air we breathe and the water we drink also have a large influence on our bodies. Hence, in the world we are living in today, we all need to be supporting our detox pathways in the liver, kidney, colon and lymphatics.
So as cleanses are important, so is everyday support these detox organs to reduce our overall long-term burden. I will discuss here, simple ways that we can all be giving our bodies an extra hand. This is particularly important during a cleanse, but I encourage you to pick and choose various methods each and every day.
Supportive Detox Therapies:
Dry Skin Brushing:
- Use a natural bristle brush, and lightly exfoliate the areas of the body from the extremities towards the heart. Use a circular motion starting at the feet and moving up the body; at the hands and moving into the body; finishing at the chest. Encourages circulation, dead skin removal, and lymphatic drainage.
- Finish your shower with alternating hot and cold water. One cycle consists of 20 seconds hot, and 1 minute cold. Move your way up to 3 cycles at the end of your shower, always finish with cold.
- 30 minute saunas 2-3 x/week while detoxing. Uses infrared heat (rather than thermal heat) to penetrate deeper into the core of the body, to internally heat the body and encourage sweating.
Castor oil packs:
- Massage a coin sized amount over the liver area (right side of lower rib cage). Place a piece of cloth or face towel over the area and apply heat (ex. hot water bottle) for 20-30 minutes. Repeat 3-5X week to encourage lymphatic drainage and detoxification (can re-use cloth).
Himalayan Sea Salt Baths:
- Empty ½ lb of sea salt into a warm bath. Soak for a minimum of 20 minutes. May use 1-2x/week. A ’bath brine’ made from these salt crystals neutralizes the acids of your skin, balances the fluids in your body, supports proper nutrient absorption and aids in toxin elimination.
AM Lemon Water:
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice (organic) in 8oz of water with a dash of cayenne pepper. May be sweetened with stevia for taste. Drink one mixture everyday first thing in the morning (half an hour before breakfast).
- Increase – artichoke, garlic, onions, apples, cayenne, turmeric, green tea, watercress, pomegranate, ginger, and flax seeds to support liver metabolism and elimination.
- Adding fibres and natural binders to your regime will help pull toxins from you body to be eliminated by the colon. Common examples are psyllium, chlorella, humic acid, diatomaceous earth, zeolite clay. They all are generally to be taken away from your meal with plenty of water.
- 30 minutes of daily activity (walking, hiking, swimming, running, etc.) to your level of ability to promote sweating, and movement of blood, bowels, and lymphatics.
- Deep breathing for 5-10 minutes a day. Focus on the breath and imagine toxins be removed from the body with every exhalation.
- Take the time to write about any feelings that may come up over the course of the detox. It allows you to better understand the situation and to express yourself fully. We need to emotionally detoxify as well as cleanse physically.
- Allow yourself time to relax, and do something you enjoy. Tai Chi, yoga, Pilates, meditation and prayer are all good techniques to practice during a detox.
Remember, all of these techniques can be helpful during a cleanse, but they can also be done on a regular basis. You will see improved energy, hormone regulation, improved sleep, weight management, and mood balancing. All things that help us to live a healthy full life!
With Courage and Blessings,